Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Living Hope vs A Temporary Life

This has been a hard week. I had several doctors appointments each one reminded me that I am getting older and my body is wearing out. I went upstairs to work in my daughter's room but had to stop because I couldn't quit crying. I am happy for her but it brought into focus how the roles in my life are changing. I woke up this morning thinking about this verse, "All flesh is like grass and all it's glory like the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever." (1Peter 1:24,25)

When I talked to my friend who is an atheist this was the view she held, life it beautiful but when it's over, it's over. Personally, I find no comfort in that at all. The Bible has much to say about how temporary life is. "He springs up like a flower and withers away; like a fleeting shadow, he does not endure." (Job 14:2) "As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field: for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and it's place knows it no more." (Psalms 103:15) "A voice says, "Cry out." And I said, "What shall I cry?" "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades when the breath of the LORD blows on it; surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever." (Isiah 40;6-8)

Because of what I am experiencing I see the truth in what my atheist friend says about how beautiful and temporary life is but I that's not all I see. The same Psalm that speaks of the days of our life being like the flower of the field speaks of God's steadfast love. "But the steadfast love of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him...The LORD has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all." (Psalm 103:17-19) I believe what my physical eyes can see, the beauty of a Morning Glory that blooms in early in the day will by noon be withered. I also ,however, believe what I see through eyes of faith that the steadfast love of God is from everlasting to everlasting.

I woke up thinking about the verse in 1 Peter that says all flesh is like grass that was all I could remember so I read the whole chapter to put it in context. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you." (1 Peter 1:3-9) This is my living hope because of God's great mercy He sent His Son to give me eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment