Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Choice

I watched the child sit with arms crossed determined to be in a bad mood. It was a beautiful day, we were at a party and a choice had to be made to participate in the fun or not to participate. I thought about that scene as I woke up this morning. The verse that came to mind was, "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."(Psalm 118:24)

I first learned this verse as a teenager. I remember the difference it began to make in my life when I woke up recognizing that the Lord had made each day and I could choose to rejoice. It made a difference because before I knew that verse I would wake up with a since of dread not knowing what the day would hold.

Choosing to begin the day by rejoicing is choosing to walk by faith. Who can know for certain when a day begins what will happen? "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness."(2 Timothy 3:16) What Scripture teaches me is that I can rejoice at the beginning of each new day.

The truth is however, that sometimes I wake up in a bad mood, like the child at the party. Often I feel like I have some pretty good reasons for my dark mood. So what do I so then? That's when I am reminded that to rejoice is an act of faith. I find God's word rebuking me and correcting my thoughts. Like a child that needs to be disciplined or trained I too need to be disciplined. The correction of my thinking causes me to recognize that I can rejoice and be glad because I can trust the one who made this day.

O Lord, You know that I tend by nature to more negative than positive. Thank You for giving me Your word that day by day points me in the right direction. Today I will look for You and the good things You have provided. I choose to rejoice and be glad in this day because I trust the one who made this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment