Friday, September 7, 2012

The Initiation

I want to share a secret with you. There are mysteries that are learned not by studying but by applying God's word in the midst of a trail. It's as if the very thing I fear becomes an initiation to a place of peace. If God has allowed a difficulty into my life He has with that difficulty issued me an invitation to know Him better.

I find this world a beautiful place filled with many good things. I would have no problem being content with it's simple pleasures, however, I can't ignore the suffering that I have seen. This awareness of suffering has caused me to be aware of not just time but eternity.

I have noticed the effect of suffering on different people. I have watched some people who seemed to know and love God encounter a grief, a disappointment, something that didn't match their expectation of how God should operate. I have seen the light go out as they walked away. I wanted to scream, "Don't give up! Don't just look at what you physical eyes can see."

I am old enough to have known disappointments on many levels. I have known hurt and sorrow. But I have walked long enough with my Lord to know the secret. A secret that I will now share. Whenever I walk among the charred ruins of my plans and dreams I look intently for the invitation. The invitation reads, "Come and know me better, Child"

Oh Father, I thank You for the good times and I thank You for the hard times. Thank You for teaching me how to rejoice in You with tears in my eyes. Thank You for initiating me into the mystery of faith by allowing me to find joy in You regardless of the circumstances. Thank You for teaching me the secret of contentment that I can do all things through You.

4 comments:

  1. so true! the past few months are teaching me the same thing. i said i believed in God and His goodness and sovereignty, but now the rubber is meeting the road. sometimes i can only cry, "lord! help my unbelief!" and he does that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah, I understand! The beautiful thing is that when God invites us to put into practice the things we believe it set our spirit free. That is when we can say with Job I had heard about You but now I know You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really needed this today! Thank you for your love for the Father and for sharing daily through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouragement Paula.

    ReplyDelete