Monday, September 3, 2012

Wrapped Up in Perfect Peace

The day has been long and I am so very tired. Finally, I get to go to bed. Then it happens, just as my head is sinking into the pillow and my mind is blanketed with unconsciousness the "guilts" come. With a harsh voice they begin to whisper in my mind. "Why did you...? How could you have forgotten to...? You are so selfish and self centered!"

No matter how weary I may be the "guilts" have the ability to chase away sleep and replace it with shame. I would be an insomniac if it were not for my secret weapon. Long ago I hung a calligraphic Bible verse above my bed it reads, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusteth in thee." (Isaiah 26:3)

So how guilty am I? The thing that wakes me is the fact that there is truth in all the accusations that the "guilts" hurl at me. However, there is a deeper truth that I see when my mind is steadfast and I choose to trust God. Every scene of guilt and shame becomes a  backdrop for me to see more clearly the love of God. I make a choice to fix my thoughts on my Savior, my Redeemer and the lover of my soul.

So the place where I have been attached for my failures becomes a place of worship. The contrast of who I am and who God is causes me to bow before Him and worship Him in the beauty of His holiness. My mind is blanketed with perfect peace my heart finds it's resting place in the unfailing love of God.

Lord Jesus, when the darkness of my sin matches the darkness of the night help me to chose seek Your comfort. Thank You for inviting me to worship You in the beauty of Your holiness. Thank You for wrapping me in Your perfect peace.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, these thoughts always make me think of Zechariah 3 where the prophet sees Joshua the high priest standing before the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. Ughh! But I think the verse you take comfort in was put there in God's word to give us strength, peace and hope. I'll join you in praising God for his perfect peace!

    ReplyDelete