Sunday, September 23, 2012

Habitual Thanksgiving

I read something yesterday morning that stayed with me. I read about Daniel in the lions' den. Such a familiar story, but this time something caught my attention that I hadn't noticed before. The men who were jealous of Daniel set a trap for him involving his prayer life: that if anyone prayed to any god or man other than the king for 30 days he would be thrown into the lion's den.

"Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the widow opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before" (Daniel 6:1).What got my attention was the content of his prayer. He gave thanks three times a day. He was giving thanks even though he knew the decree had been published and it could cost him his life.

By this time in history Daniel is an old man. He is an old man yet three times a day he got down on his knees to pray and to give thanks to his God. I know that scripture is given to teach, rebuke, correct and train in righteousness and this picture of Daniel as an old man on his knees praying and thanking God at the risk of his life does all of that.

Ever since I was a child and I first heard the story of Daniel I saw him as a quiet man. I saw him as a quiet man in the midst of turmoil. Every time I read his story I saw him as one who experienced peace no matter what situation he was put in. When I thought about how he humbled himself and prayed with thanksgiving I understood where the peace came from.

Lord, I want to learn this lesson from Daniel. I want my life to be marked by humility toward you. I also want to pray with thanksgiving three times a day. I have been around people who habitually complain and I don't want to be one of them. Lord, please let my life be marked by habitual thanks giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment