Friday, September 21, 2012

Keeping Balanced in an Unbalanced World

I was asked to speak on the topic "How to Keep Your Balance in an Unbalanced World." I've been thinking about that lately. When I think of someone who did this well I think of Daniel. As a young man he was taken from his homeland and given a different name. When all that was familiar was stripped away from him Daniel's resolved not to defile himself. I think this is the first clue in his ability to find balance when everything around him was changing. He didn't just look at his world with physical eyes, he used he spiritual eyes as well.

There was so much upheaval during Daniel's life. Soon after he was made a wise man in Nebuchadnezzar's court he was told he was to be killed if he couldn't interpret a dream the king had had, even though the king refused to tell what the dream was. Daniel wasn't destroyed because he and his friends sought mercy from the God of heaven concerning this mystery. Here is another clue to the way he kept his balance, he trusted God to reveal to him what he needed to know.

When Daniel blessed the God of heaven he said, "He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding."(Daniel 2:21) How many kings did Daniel see rise and fall? First there was Nebuchadnezzar then his son Evil-Merodach,who only reigned about two years before he was assassinated by his brother-in-law Neriglissar. Neriglissar only reigned for four years when he was replaced by Labashi-Marduk. Then a usurper named Nabonidus took the throne but removed himself to northern Arabia and his son Belshazzar became a co-regent. All the time this upheaval was taking place Daniel kept his balance by continuing to worship the God of heaven.

One of the ways I keep my balance in my own unbalanced world is to open my spiritual eyes and look at what Daniel saw. "As I looked, thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat...In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like the son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of days and was led into his presents. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all people, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed."( Daniel 7:1-14) Because Daniel had a spiritual view and not just a physical view he was able to keep his balance no matter what he faced.

Oh Ancient of Days I too come before Your throne with the prayer that Jesus taught me to pray,"Father, who art in heaven hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." Help me to keep my balance by keeping my heart, my mind and my spirit focused on You and Your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment