Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"Class, isn't Sarah stupid?"

My teacher was given the almost impossible task of teaching sixty second graders how to read! I became the object of her frustration.

For the life of me I could not figure out how to decode those letters on the page. They seemed to me to be like little minnows swimming about. This was really a problem for someone whose first name began with an S and whose last name ended with a D. My solution was to write one row in one direction and the next in the other direction. My teacher was not impressed by my genius.

One thing we did learn early on was to speak in unison. We had learned to stand and say," Good Morning Sister ___" So when my teacher began to ask the class,"Class, isn't Sarah stupid." They did a really good job of saying in unison,"Yes, Sarah is stupid"

I may not have learned to read very well in the second grade but I did learn my place. I longed to not be stupid but in my mind I saw a book shelf. I wanted to reach up high but I knew those book weren't for people like me. They were reserved for only the smart people.

Isn't it funny how when you have children you know that they should have what you couldn't have. I started reading to my first child before she was born! By the time she was three we had covered all the The Little House on the Prairie series.

I've been reading children's books now for over thirty years and I think I'm almost ready to go to the next shelf.  My children long ago surpassed me. But I have commissioned them to every now and then come back and tell me what their learning. What a thrill to be your children's student.

I have a wonderful mystery to share with you. This mystery fills me with wonder and delight. I found a book that was down on my level. A book that contains the living word of God. There are a lot of words in it that I probably don't pronounce right but that doesn't keep me from reading it.

I started reading it from Genesis to Revelation when I was twelve or thirteen. I'll be sixty in a few years and ya know what. I never get tired of it. It fills my life with wonder and joy.  Maybe that is because I am one of those simple people.

I found this verse in the Bible that describes me"God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise: God chose the weak things to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things ---and the things that are not--- to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before Him." 1Corinthians 1:27-29

So, I am satisfied that I am who I am because through His word I know who He is

2 comments:

  1. Of the innumerable gifts that you've given to your children in the last 30 years Mommy, the love of reading is possibly the most important. I cringe as I write that, because it seems to detract from all of the "Sarah" that you've given us. In reality, the love of reading has opened us up to that same book that you fell in love with. With out the love of reading, the love of that book, and the love of the Father described within, our lives would all be loveless anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank GOD for you !!! I listened to Chris Fabry Live today as he talked between tears while reading your essay, POWERFUL !One of my Grand-daughters was "used" as an example by her first public school teacher and recommended that she repeat the second grade because she had been home schooled,and "not ready" to go forward.Our family prayed and worked with the school system to help my Grand.One "special reading"teacher worked with her to bring my Grand back to a place of trusting.Now,she has completed 2 two grades in one year AND now in middle school receiving A's and B's with confidence and compassion for others.GOD gets ALL the praise and glory.May GOD CONTINUE to BLESS you and your family to share your truth.

    ReplyDelete