Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Where time and eternity intersected

There is an orange x on the pavement where it happened. It is the place where time and eternity intersected. This is how it happened...

I was only a few minutes from home when I saw the collision. The impact of the two cars was so great it looked like they met in mid air. I had narrowly escaped being apart of the accident myself.

First, I went to comfort the boy whose legs had been crushed when the cars collided. After his mother came, I went to see what I could do for the lady in the van. I saw her body slumped over the steering wheel. She was dead.

Like me, she was only a few minutes from home. It didn't take long for her friends and family to gather. One by one they asked me what had happened. I repeated the story to her mother, her sisters, her children, her husband. The grief was a heavy presence. We were all standing there waiting for the authorities. Until they came, the body remained slumped over the steering wheel.

That was when it happened. The family began to say to each other,"God is good". Each person said this to the one next to them. Finally, the lady next to me looked me in the eyes and said,"God is good. I am going to pray and ask God that you might not have bad dreams because of what you saw today."

I was stunned! Why would she care if I, a stranger, had bad dreams or not! That night I woke with my heart pounding I had seen it all in my mind again.I could hear the echo of the boy's screams and the deadly silence of the woman in the van. As I was jolted awake I also saw again the face of the woman who had promised to pray for me.

I got out of  bed and knelt down. I thought of the words of Job when He received
 word of all he had lost. He too knelt down and worshiped. The family I met at the scene of the accident had shown me what true worship is.

The orange mark has faded,  but I will never forget when time and eternity intersected. It was also the day I saw heaven and earth come together in true worship.

3 comments:

  1. This is the one story that sticks out in my mind the most, out of all the other things that you have told me over the years and each time I hear it again I am still struck at the faith those people had that day. I am so glad you are blogging : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this. To this day I am so impressed with how God used you that day, and the strength you had to stay there for those families. I miss you dear friend and I love seeing your stories on 'paper'. God has given you inspiring words for as long as I've known you, and you love using them to fulfill His path for you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I've never met you, but somehow randomly read this post about a month ago while perusing the Internet. Tonight, a beloved brother and sister lost their 6-month-old daughter, without warning. All I could think to do was say over and over again, "God is good, all the time." And it was because God used your recounting of this experience to teach me proper perspective. Thank you - He used you to show me how I should worship, in all situations.

    ReplyDelete