Monday, February 14, 2011

Don't bite the thermometer!

I don't remember why I was sitting up on that table at the doctor's office but I do remember the nurse sticking that glass thing in my mouth and ordering me not to bite it. It had never occurred to me to bite it. That is until she told me not to.

Crunch! Wow, what excitement! No sooner had I bitten the thermometer than little balls of mercy went bouncing all over the room. And if that weren't enough the nurse seemed to bounce around the room as well. It seemed I was an audience of one. I had caused all this excitement! I had the power! And did I mention I was sick?

"I know how to make her stop." my Grandmother said while producing a small amber colored bottle from behind her back. This was to be the cure for my problem. You see, I was a finger sucker!

"Hold out your hand,Sarah." Being the obedient child I was I complied with her wishes.She opened the bottle producing a small brush attached to the top of the bottle. Then she brushed it onto my fingers and said,"Go ahead Sarah, put your fingers in your mouth." Before my fingers ever found their resting place in my mouth I could smell the foul odor. The taste matched the smell. When Grandmother saw my reaction she said,"That should cure her, Rachel!"

Oh, but they underestimated the strength of my will. On the outside I was a compliant child but on the inside...I was my own master! They made the mistake of leaving the bottle unattended. I pulled a chair up to the counter and climbed up until I could reach the offending vile. Then I climbed back down went out side and emptied it onto the ground. I had the power!

"You will not surely die." the serpent said to the woman."For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."Genesis 3:4,5 Oh yes,yes this is just what I always wanted! To be my own God. My own master, nobody will be the boss of me!

Nobody is going to tell me not to bite the thermometer. Nobody is going to keep me from sucking my fingers! Did I mention I had this problem with pin worms?  Well never mind that back to the important things. I would be my own God or at least I would worship on my own terms.

"Come, my children,listen to me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD."Ps. 34:1 This is how my journey began.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read more.
    It I were bloging it would not be at 6:41 in the morning: unless I had not slept the night before. Then my blogs would look something like this: today is ..... I have no clue. I don't think I could tell you the time of day or night either. I don't know that sunrise is sometime around 7:30am. If I am still awake by then... maybe....maybe I could tell you something.

    ReplyDelete