Monday, February 28, 2011

The mute speak

My daughter in law has a very special gift. She helps people find their written voice. When I first heard her speak about this I only had one thought," Teach me!"

People have often said to me," Sarah, if you can talk you can write." Personally, I have never found this to be true. I have no trouble talking. I have addressed large crowds and yet when I have tried to sit down and capture on paper the thought in my mind there has always been a terrible disconnect.

Because I believe I have the gift of encouragement I have always wanted to write a devotional. One of my friends even arranged for me to go to a writers convention. There was a contest that she encouraged me to enter. We were to tell about the greatest obstacle we had to writing. I was embarrassed wanting to participate yet not wanting  to expose how inadequate I was. I wrote," My greatest obstacle to writing is adding sweat to a dream and thereby making a dream a reality." I was stunned when they read out my name as a winner.

I have another friend who has shared my dream of capturing thoughts on paper. She said, "Sarah, lets do it together. Maybe we could even write a book together one day." I wanted to, I really did but every time I sat down to write the thoughts scattered like leaves in a windstorm. Finally I told her to go without me. I have been reading her devotionals for a year now. She has a book that will be publish soon. I rejoice with her! and yet....

Two weeks ago I began an in depth study of First Corinthians. There I read ," For consider you calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the stings which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised, God has chosen,the things that are not,that He might nullify the things that are, that no man should boast before God." 1 Corinthians 1:27-29

Two weeks ago God did a miracle in my life just as Jesus made the mute speak He gave a written voice. Two weeks ago with trembling fingers I began to type my first post.

1 comment: