Tuesday, February 22, 2011

At the jail at four o'clock on Sunday afternoon

" Lord, I am not going to seek this boy out. If you want me to be part of his life put him in the middle of my path." I had heard about "Joey". He was only thirteen yet he had been in and out of reform school,boot camp and at the present had been suspended from school . I wasn't excited about meeting him so I left  the possibility of our meeting up to God.

After I prayed I went for a walk guess who was standing in the middle of the road. That is how my friendship with "Joey" began. He found out I usually woke up at five in the morning he would often arrive at my door soon after that and ask me to read the Bible to him.

 I met him in the Spring of the year by the Fall his mother had died. I became a more constant part of his life. "Joey" continued to be troubled. He was unable to stay at home. In fact he spent most of the remainder of his childhood in and out of institutions. I have followed him to all of them. Everywhere he goes I go. I go to him with the message,"Jesus loves you,and so do I".

Last Sunday afternoon at four I was at the jail again. I lifted the receiver and looked through the double paned  glass and said,"Joey, I love you." He smiled and said,"Sarah, I know you do you're the only one who comes to see me." "Joey,I'm here to tell you Jesus loves you. He will never turn His back on you. Only He really knows you. He understands your pain He came to save you. He took on a robe of  flesh so that you could be robed in righteousness." Joey's eyes filled with tears and he said,"Sarah, will you send me a Message Bible?"

God put "Joey" in the middle of my path that day and gave me the assignment to show him the love of Christ what a privilege.

2 comments:

  1. I love your ministry to the Joeys of the world, Mommy. I love that you spent your day of rest taking Jesus to Joey, and that in spite of the hard things Joey has put you through and put himself through, you've been the hands and feet of Jesus to Joey.
    I know we all have Joeys that have been put into our lives, and I know I've sidestepped around more than a few. It takes faith to allow God to use us to minister to them, because often, it's gonna hurt.
    But God has the perfect salve for any wound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah...you continue to bless me beyond measure!

    ReplyDelete