Monday, February 21, 2011

The KEY

It was a perfect day. I was to be the master of my fate the captain of my ship. I had the whole day planned and I had made a perfect list.That is when it happened.

My first destination had been Toys R Us. I felt so efficient as I checked it off my list but when I got to the car there was a problem. I still had my list but what I didn't have were keys to my car. Now what was I supposed to do?

That morning I had been studying the Sovereignty of God suddenly a thought came to me,"How would I respond to this situation if I really believed that God was Sovereign and that He loved me?" I decided to go on a Quest.

The first thing I did on my Quest was to offer a sacrifice. Outside Toys R Us was a garbage can. When I got to it I lay my hands on it and I prayed,"Lord, it felt so good to be in control of my day. But now I want to know what it feels like to truly believe that You are Sovereign and that You love me." Having said that I waded up my list and put it on the alter ( which looked a lot like a garbage can, because it was a garbage can).

My Quest had begun. So now what was I supposed  to do without keys and without a list. I decided to talk to the Sovereign God who loved me. "Lord, what do I do now."

I went into the store and explained that I had lost my keys and I needed to use a phone, this was before the day of cell phones. I also told them about my Quest. They gave me a knowing smile and a phone. I called the Doctor to cancel the appointment I had had for that day. The receptionist told me she would be happy to come get me. And so the day of miracles began.

I spent that whole day doing two things, telling people about my Quest and praying ," Lord, what am I supposed to do now?" I was amazed at how many people prayed with me and helped me go from place to place. Eventually I ended up at the Mall where I was to meet my children I decided to ask God to send me someone who could tell me what to do about my key-less car.

He answered that prayer too. The woman He sent to me looked at me strangely and said," Sarah, most people would just call a locksmith." With this information I went to the Mall office to see if they had the number of a locksmith.

I told the woman behind the desk what I needed.She smiled at me and said," Did you loose your keys?" Before I could explain that I hadn't lost them at the Mall. She reached out and handed me my keys.

It was then I realized that that was one prayer I had not thought to pray. I had not asked God to give me back my keys! I had wanted to know instead what it would feel like to really believe that God was in control and that He loved me. I found out what it feels like. It makes life feel like an adventure. It feels like you are wrapped up in a blanket of peace.

Many people have asked," How did your keys get to the Mall". I don't know. I can simply add that to the long list of things I don't know. But then I don't have to know every thing because, you see, I'm not in control. However, I belong to the Sovereign Lord of the Universe and He loves me. I am reminded of this every time I use my key.

1 comment:

  1. It's so wonderful to be able to READ all these studies now. Hearing them as a child, I thought "isn't it interesting how God takes care of us".
    As an adult, I read this story and wonder if it would ever occur to me to step out of God's way to let him be in total control of something as non-universally important as a to-do list for a day of errands. In general, I'm pretty good about handing over the "big" things to God (of course, I still do my part by worrying about all the variables, but I still let Him handle it), but I'm much more like the disdainful woman who pointed out that locksmiths are for fixing keyless situations. I always want to handle my own daily life.

    ReplyDelete