Friday, February 25, 2011

Don't forget the vista

We had just moved into our new house and I guess I got a bit obsessive. Window windows everywhere I loved it. Looking out my back window I had a view of the lake. There were geese on the lake and from my chair at the breakfast table I could see a blue heron's nest . Looking out my front windows I could see horses grazing in the field and beyond them were the deer. But there was a problem, I wasn't looking through the window I was looking at the window.

If you have a house filled with children then you will have windows filled with smudges. On this  particular morning all I could see were smudges. In fact they were driving me crazy. As I sat there murmuring about smudges I suddenly saw the blue heron perch on his nest and spread his wings. This caught my attention and caused me to look through the glass and not at the glass. That was when the thought came to me,"Life is full of smudges but don't forget the vista!"

About this time I saw my son coming into the kitchen for breakfast. He took one look at my face and I could almost hear him thinking," O no, Mother has had a revelation!" Maybe I should have waited to share my new found insight, but I couldn't resist. As he sat there bleary eyed I poured forth my soul. He didn't say much just sat there and nodded his head.

After he finished his breakfast my son went upstairs to his room. When he got to the top to the stairs he yelled down," Hey Mom, there's cat vomit up here". Then he paused and added," But don't forget the vista". My son knew very well how I felt about cat vomit but this morning instead of screaming I laughed and thought,"Perspective, perspective, perspective!"

2 comments:

  1. Poor Mommy. Your epiphanies come so early for your little smudge-makers. Yet another reason that we so dearly love your blogging. :D

    ReplyDelete