Thursday, February 24, 2011

Waiting

Waiting, waiting,waiting, Waiting for the doctor to call to tell me if my daughter's tumor was malignant. Waiting,waiting,waiting . Waiting for a call from the University to find out if my son has been accepted. Waiting,waiting,waiting. Waiting to find out if my wayward child will ever come back home to me again.

It doesn't matter what I'm waiting for in the process I always discover a few things about myself. The first thing that becomes clear is that I am not in control. The next thing I discover is that waiting exposes what I am really putting my confidence in. If I am putting my confidence in anything other than God, waiting will be pregnant with anxiety. If, on the other hand ,while I am waiting I am putting my confidence in the Lord my waiting becomes a time of expectation.Psalm 37:7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him...

I  sat in my friends living room the depression so heavy I could hardly breath."Sarah, what are you doing?" I sat in silence for a while then I whispered,"I am waiting." Susan replied,"Sarah, what are you waiting for?" Slowly the words came,"I am waiting for the Lord."

The next morning while reading my Bible I found the words that expressed the cry of my heart."I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."Psalm 40:1-3

No one enjoys waiting, no one enjoys being tested. However, sometimes at the end of this time of waiting I find a deeper since peace then I had known before. I find that though I am not in control God is, when I put my trust in Him I find rest for my soul.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like this one. It rings too close to home. My philosophy from childhood has been "if i can worry about every single possibility, it won't happen". I've always just assumed that I was better at worrying than you were, so you just let me handle all the worrying for you (and for the rest of the Decosimo clan, since they're not much for worrying either). I like it better when I feel like I'm in control of the situation by ferreting out all the possible bad outcomes and preventing them by having already considered them. Siiiiggghhh.

    ReplyDelete