Monday, April 25, 2011

Ah, Sovereign Lord!

I come from a long line of women who know how to sigh. I remember the long sighs of my grandmother and my mother the older I get the more I understand there purpose. Sometimes the pressures of life feel unbearable that's when I take a deep breath an exhale slowly.

I think the prophet Jeremiah knew how to sigh. I read several times a prayer in the book of Jeremiah that begins with a sigh. I can  just imagine the prophet taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly saying , "AHhhhh". But the sigh becomes a prayer when you add the words,"Sovereign Lord"

God had given Jeremiah a hard job the message he had to deliver was one of inescapable judgement. His ministry was hard his message wasn't one anyone wanted to hear but he didn't murmur and complain. He recognized his humanity but he also recognized his relationship to God.

The title Sovereign shows he knew God was in control. God is above all authority  and powers. Jeremiah didn't leave it there he also called him Lord. When I read in Numbers I see the children of Israel's rebellion against God. They seem to constantly want to be the lord of their own life Jeremiah surrendered the lordship to God.

I like this prayer,"Ah, Sovereign Lord!". I often don't understand what God is doing in my life and it helps me to take a deep breath and exhale slowly. It helps me even more to remind myself that God is Sovereign and that He is my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment