Friday, April 8, 2011

Faithful in prayer

The verse was stamped onto a paper bag. The bag contained a gift to my grandson. However, for me, the gift was the words stamped onto the bag. "Be joyful in hope,patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

I meditated on this verse for days,captivated by the truth.  I even woke at 2 A.M. convicted by my lack joy which was symptomatic of my lack of hope. Aware that instead of being patient in affliction I just wanted to be relieved of affliction. But an even deeper awareness that I was not faithful in prayer. No, I instead more often shrugged my shoulders in defeat and with grim acceptance said,"That's just the way it is."

Why do I stop praying? It's because I loose my focus. I become overwhelmed by the problems in my life. When I fail to rejoice in hope and persevere in suffering then it is easy to become unfaithful about praying.

When I present my requests to God. I am acknowledging through faith that He loves me, that He is concerned  about the struggles I have in this life.  When I make my petitions with thanksgiving I am rejoicing in hope. I am confident that God is at work on my behalf.  He is my Redeemer, Savior, High Priest and friend. By His grace He has allowed me to be His child. I have a place in His Kingdom story.

When I am joyful in hope I can persevere in affliction because by faith I know I can call out to God in prayer and He is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment