Friday, April 22, 2011

Taking refuge under the shelter of your wings!

Sometimes when I am really tired and preparing to sleep I feel vulnerable. All the things I've done wrong,the stupid,thoughtless things I've said parade themselves in my mind. Everything I chose not to worry about during the day comes out of hiding to haunt me in the night. Recently a friend asked me how I meditated on Scripture one of my favorite times to meditate is during the twilight of my consciousness when I am so vulnerable to negative thoughts.

Earlier this week I was drifting off to sleep when my mind began to wander into the negative zone. I decided to meditate on God's invitation to take shelter under His wing. I wrapped myself in the blanket and  thought ,"If  I was under God's wing I would also be next to His heart." All through the night when I woke with haunting thoughts I would go back to the picture of being near to the heart of God.

"Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer;from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.Let me dwell in your tent forever! Selah  
Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings!" Psalms 61:1-4

The next morning as I was waking up I saw a Scripture reference in my dream. I saw it typed at the bottom of a book mark. When I got up I looked for it in the Bible. It was Zephaniah 3: 16,17 "Fear not ,O Zion; let not your hands grow weak. The Lord you God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exalt over you with loud singing."

I sought refuge and peace near to the heart of God beneath His wing and woke to the to the sound of His singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment