Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"Come now, and let us reason together."

The phone rang in the middle of the night and jolted me awake. It didn't take long for me to realize what kind of phone call this was. Suddenly, out of my mouth came words my Grandmother had had me memorize many many years before. "Come now, and let us reason together saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."(Isaiah 1:18) Before he could respond I added, "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."(Isaiah 53:6) There was silence and then he said, "Please tell me those things again." After I repeated the verses a second time he said quietly, "Thank you," and hung up. "You will know the truth and the truth shall set you free."(John 8:32)

"Did Mommy tell you what happened last night?" There was a haunted look in his eyes. I assured him I had heard nothing and we went about having a good time together, reading the next chapter in  our book, planting a tree in the back yard. Then it was bed time and we were having the kind of quite talk that happens at twilight when he asked me again, "Are you sure you don't know what happened last night?" "Why, don't you tell me," I said. His heart and voice broke at the same time as he told be about the burden of guilt  he was carrying  I told him what my Grandmother had told me. "We've all done wrong. Every one of us has messed up, that's why Jesus came." I told him about my struggle with guilt. "We have both an Accuser and a Savoir. Which one are you going to pay attention to?" He gave me a sweet little boy hug and said, "Thank you, Mimi." "You will know the truth and the truth shall set you free." ( John 8:32)

What is the truth that sets us free? I think about what John the Baptist said when he saw Jesus coming toward him. "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" (John 1:35) From the very beginning of his ministry Jesus was identified as the one who had come bare our griefs and carry our sorrows. "He was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our inquiries upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his strips we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."(Isaiah 53) I believe knowing this truth sets the prison free from guilt and shame.

The Accuser,however,is always at hand to draw attention away from the Truth that brings freedom so that my focus will not be on the one who has come to take away my sins but instead my attention will be on my sins. "Do you think you can be free from your failure? Just look at what you've done! You are guilty!" This also is true, I am guilty. What am I to do? Again the words my Grandmother taught me so many years ago return. "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." This Truth brings with it both peace and freedom.

Lord Jesus, the truth is I have sinned. I have not only failed to do the good I wanted to do I have also done the wrong things I didn't want to do. I hear and feel the condemnation of the Accuser. I would be at his mercy except I, like John, have seen and known the Lamb of God who has come to take away my sins. I hear both the voices of the Accuser and of the Savior I choose to listen to Your voice Jesus. I choose to base my life on the Truth that You are the Lamb of God who has taken away my sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment