Monday, October 1, 2012

The Gift

I don't know who that gift was for, maybe it was just part of my Mother's decorating scheme. Mother kept a beautifully wrapped gift on the dresser of the guest bedroom. Whenever I came to spend the night with her I would look at that wrapped gift and smile. I think of hope like a beautifully wrapped gift. Hope is the confident expectation of good.

The joy in gift giving is not only for the one who receives the gift but for the one who gives it. I was with my sisters this weekend and I had chosen birthday gifts for two of them. I delighted in watching my sisters open their presents. I saw my pleasure reflected in what I read this morning  "The LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love." (Psalm 147:11) What a gift! Unfailing love that is given to me even when I fail.

In the book of Romans it talks about "rejoicing in hope." This kind of rejoicing happens because no matter what I may be experiencing at the time I know that this hope I have in the unfailing love of God will not put me to shame. In fact even now God's love has been poured into my heart through the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is only a taste of what is to come.

There is not only joy that comes as I live my life aware of this beautifully wrapped gift there is also peace. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing  so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."(Roman's 15:13) This peace and joy gives me not only hope for the future but courage and strength to face the challenges I meet each day.

Dear Heavenly Father You have filled my life with gifts I did not earn and that I do not deserve. Please help me be someone who delights you by putting my hope in Your unfailing love. As You pour out Your love into my heart through Your Holy Spirit help me live this day with courage empowered by the gift of Your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment