Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Standing in the Courts of Heaven

"Use your imagination and see yourself sitting in a room full of people. Everyone has gathered to listen to your deepest darkest secrets exposed. There is no place for you to hide there is nothing you can do but lower your eyes as all eyes focus knowingly on you." This is how my daughter began her creative Bible Study class. Her assignment had been to choose a group of people where she would bring the message of hope. Because she was ministering at a local jail she chose them as her audience. When she described the courtroom I was reminded of a scene from Heaven I'd read about.

My friend stood before me with her eyes cast down. "Please pray for me," she said. She was being smothered by a mantel of guilt. She told me how she wanted to be free but that she just couldn't get past her crippling since of guilt. I shared a scene from Heaven with her and asked if it sounded familiar.

"Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. And the LORD said to Satan, 'The LORD rebuke you, O Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is not this a brand plucked from the fire?' Now Joshua was standing before the angel, clothed in filthy garments. And the angel said to those who were standing before him, 'Remove the filthy garments from him.' And to him he said,' Behold, I have taken your iniquity away from you, and I will clothe you with pure vestments.'" (Zechariah 3: 1-5)

I have felt the crippling effects of guilt. Sometimes it has even felt noble to focus on my guilt. Yet, when I look at this picture of Satan standing on one side accusing and the angel of the LORD pronouncing that the iniquity has been removed I get another picture. This is a picture of what Jesus did for me. Even though Jesus has pronounced me pure Satan still retains his role as accuser. The question is to whom do I listen?

Father, because Jesus took the punishment that I deserved I have been like a brand plucked from the fire. Jesus wore the robe of flesh so that I could wear a robe of righteousness. Please help me to walk in this truth and honor You. Please help me not to honor the accuser by letting him cover me with the filthy garments that You removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment