Thursday, October 11, 2012

Soul Surgery

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." ( 2 Timothy 3:16) I experienced the truth of this verse when I decided I would memorize 1 Corinthians 13 in several versions at the same time.

I've heard people ask the question, "Does anyone really know what love means?" Well I think God gives a good definition in His word. When I started my memorization project I began with,"Love is patient and kind" I couldn't get much farther than that because I found God's word not only teaching me what love is but I also felt rebuked because of my lack of patience and kindness. The fact that I was homeschooling my four children at the time brought my lack into clear view. So I began to pray that God would also correct my lack of patience and kindness. 

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."(Hebrews 4:12) As I continued memorizing I came to the part that said, "love does not boast, it is not proud." Since I was memorizing this in several versions simultaneously this is what was in my mind, "love is not arrogant, it's not puffed up, it doesn't brag, it's not conceited, and doesn't sing it's own praise." The sword hits it's mark I hit my knees and prayed,"Lord, have mercy on me a sinner. I am every thing love is not! Lord, please take Your word and do surgery on my soul." 

I also decided that any time I got into a fight with my husband I would think through what these verses had to say about love and apply them to myself. Again I was convicted by the words,"love is not irritable or resentful, not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrong, it doesn't seek it's own, it takes no account of evil." I can only say how grateful I for Isaiah 55:11 "So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it." I am so grateful that God's word not only brings with it conviction but it also brings with it the gift of repentance.

Lord, thank You for the gift of Your word. As I memorize what love is I am always remained that at the heart of the definition is the truth that "God is love." As I meditate on your word please do soul surgery so that I can represent You better.

No comments:

Post a Comment