Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Prince of Darkness vs The Prince of Peace

It may have seemed he was alone but he wasn't. Unseen by human eyes the Prince of Darkness taunted him with questions and accusations that were aimed to cause confusion and doubt. "You were so sure of yourself when you proclaimed to all that you were the voice of one calling in the desert to make straight the way of the Lord. So where is he now? You were making a way for him why doesn't he make a way for you to be released from this dungeon, if he really is the Messiah, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world? You testified that this Jesus is the Son of God, so why are you in prison?"

He sent to two of his disciples to Jesus with this question, "Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?"(Luke 7:18-23) He was humble enough to admit he may have made a mistake. Jesus responded by continuing to cure those who were diseased, casting out evil spirits, and giving sight to many who were blind. Then He said to the messengers, "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, and the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor. Blessed is the man who does not fall way on account of me."

John could understand the message that Jesus was sending him because John was well verse in Scripture. Jesus was quoting from Isaiah 35. It also says, "Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm feeble knees. Say to those who have an anxious heart, 'Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God. He will come and save you. Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped; then the lame man will leap like a deer and the tongue of the mute sing for joy."

Sometimes I feel like John the Baptist and I find myself in situations that don't fit my ideas of how I thought my life as a Christian would be. At times like these I remind myself of what Jesus said the night before He died, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." (John 14:27) This peace that I have received by faith in the Prince of Peace silences the voice of the Prince of Darkness. When I put my faith in Him I am sure of what I hope for and confident about what I cannot see. I am blessed because like John the Baptist I have chosen to give my allegiance to the Prince of Peace and I will not fall way on account of him.

Lord Jesus, when I am assaulted by the taunts of the enemy help me to fix my mind on Your words of truth. You words silence both confusion and doubt. Your peace lifts me up and helps me see the bigger picture. It gives me a view of Your Kingdom where You reign. I want You to reign in my life and bring tranquility to my soul so Your kingdom can be seen in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment