Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Don't Try

Try to be strong and very courageous. Try to give thanks to the Lord. Try to rejoice in the Lord; I will say it again, try. Something is wrong with these sentences. I added a word that I realize I sometimes add without thinking.

When I add the word try to something God's word says do, it gives me the option of success or failure. I can try to be strong and very courageous, but I can't promise anything. I can try to give thanks in the Lord, but I'm not sure I will. I can try to rejoice in the Lord, but let me say it again I'm only trying.

Isn't it only reasonable to add the word try to these verse? Wouldn't it be foolish to "Be strong and very courageous" if you don't know what's coming your way? Shouldn't 1 Thessalonians 5:18 read, "Try to give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." Difficult things happen so wouldn't it be more reasonable to say, "Try to rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say Try!

When I add the word try to these verses what I am saying is that I am relying on my own strength to accomplish these things. However, what I see in the Scripture is, "Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the LORD of hosts." ( Zechariah 4:6) How can I be strong and very courageous? How can I give thanks in all circumstances? How can I rejoice in the Lord? I can do these things not because I am trying but because I am trusting in the Spirit of the LORD of hosts!

Father, thank You that with the command You also gave Your Spirit. Thank You for allowing me in my weakness to experience Your Strength. Thank You for Your invitation to rejoice, give thanks and know Your strength and courage, not by trying, but by trusting Your Spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment