Friday, October 12, 2012

The True Artist

"The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." (Genesis 1:2) I think that the first artist the true artist is the Spirit of God. I think that it's interesting that the first place He chose to display His creative spirit was in a place that was,"without form and void" a place where there was darkness.

I see this same Spirit at work with the backdrop of the wilderness when God announced that He wanted His people to build a sanctuary for Him. How could this be done in a wilderness with a people who have just come out of slavery? "I have called by name Bezalel, son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. And I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship to make artistic designs for work in gold, in silver, and in bronze, and in cutting of stones for setting, and in the carving of wood, that he may work in all kinds of craftsmanship.(Exodus 31:2-5) In the wilderness the Spirit of God entered into a man so that he could provide a place God for to dwell among His people.

This sanctuary was a copy and shadow of what is in heaven according to the book of Hebrews. The man chosen to be the artist was Bezalel his name means "In the shadow of God." This is what I see, the Spirit of God over shadowed him and he became saturated with creative skill. I think it's also interesting that he was from the tribe of Judah, that can be translated let God be praised, the same tribe as King Solomon who built a temple for God.

When I think about how Bezalel an artist filled with the Holy Spirit in order to artistically create a dwelling place for God my mind is drawn to 1 Corinthians 6:19-20) "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? you are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in you body." In a world filled with profanity where there is contempt or irreverence for what is sacred the Holy Spirit has chosen to dwell within His people so that we can glorify God.

Heavenly Father Your Spirit is the only true artist. Please change me, remake me, conform me into the image of Your son. Please show me how to glorify You through the power of Your Holy Spirit as I walk through my own wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment