Thursday, October 4, 2012

"What do You Want?"

When I was a little girl and I first heard about how God had told Solomon that he could ask for anything he wanted and it would be granted to him I began to wonder what I would ask for if God told me that. Even today I can imagine myself standing like Isaiah in the courts of Heaven and seeing the Lord high and lifted up on a golden throne and the train of His robe filling the temple. I see Him as Daniel described Him as the Ancient of Days with His clothing white as snow His throne like fiery flames. The book of Revelation says that His throne is encircled with a rainbow. I have heard His voice described as the sound of a mighty rushing wind,a mighty voice, in Revelation His voice is described as the sound of mighty waters but Elijah heard Him as a still small voice. Now with all this in mind I approach the one who sits on this throne of glory with my request and I am in too much awe to say a word.

There is another story of someone to whom it was said, "What do you want me to do for you?'' (Mark 10:51) Unlike King Solomon this man had not just finished building a grand temple in fact this man was simply a blind beggar. When Jesus asked this blind beggar named Bartimaeus, What do you want me to do for you?" he answered, "Rabbi, I want to see." When Jesus opened his eyes I wonder what he really saw.

I wonder if when this blind man opened his eyes he saw,"the image of the invisible God, the first born of all creation, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. and he is the head of the body, the church, He is the beginning  the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell..." (Colossians 1:15-20) What I do know from reading his story in the book of Mark is that Bartimaeus received his sight and followed Jesus.

I have discovered through reading the Scriptures that the same God who invited Solomon to ask something of Him has given me this same invitation! The prayer that I bring mirrors both Solomon's request and Bartimaeus'. This is what I'm asking for, "That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give me a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in knowledge of him, having the eyes of my heart enlightened, that I may know what is the hope to which he has called me, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward me who believes, according to the working of his great might..." (taken from Ephesians 1:17-23)

Father, in the book of James You said that I didn't have because I didn't ask. Now I have made my request and I am also thanking you for giving me what I have asked of You. Because You promised that if I asked anything according to Your word I could be assured I would receive what I asked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment