Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lights on the Runway

I'm looking out the window at a scramble of blue lights. I see no pattern, I have no understanding about how this works. I can see, hear and feel the plane aiming toward those lights but this is something I am not I control of. I am the passenger and not the pilot. Panic or peace is determined by my trust or lack of trust in the one who pilots the plane.

This is very descriptive of how I feel right now. There is so much happening in my life and to be honest it's overwhelming. When I think about all the things that has taken place in my life over the last few months I feel like a passenger in a plane descending at a great speed toward the flickering light of a runway at night. The feeling is one of not being in control the question is, "How shall I respond to those feelings?"

"O LORD, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and to marvelous for me."(Psalm 131:1) The truth is I don't understand everything that's going on in my life right now any more than I understand how to safely land an airplane at night on the runway. Morning by morning I make the choice to trust the one who navigates my life. I choose to walk humbly believing that what is not known to me is known to Him.

"But I have calmed myself and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with it's mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time forth and forevermore." (Psalm 131:2,3) This is such a picture of comfort and trust. A child that has been weaned is a child that has experienced the comfort of it's mother and is willing to be quieted and calmed by her presents. This is also a picture of hope, the confident expectation of good. Like one who sits as a passenger looking out at the flickering blue lights on the runway anticipating a safe landing.

Heavenly Father, I am confused by all that is happening in my life right now but I truth You. Please help me to calm and quiet my soul as I choose to put my hope in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment