Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gentleness is the opposite of a control freak

I live on a farm and we have stables. I have to confess I'm not an expert on horses but I have tried to learn a few things. One thing I've learned is that horses are prey animals. Humans are predators. Prey animals are eaten by predators therefor they tend to be frightened easily very much like sheep. However, when a horse learns to trust a human the horse becomes gentle. When a horse becomes gentle and learns to trust it's owner it yields control to the owner. A horse can panic easily when it is frightened but when a horse has learned to trust it's owner there is nowhere it will not go. An example of a fearless horse is a warhorse it is also a beautiful picture of trust.

When I see the word gentle in the Bible I think of this special relationship of a horse and it's owner. I see this relationship in Philippians when it says to, "Rejoice in the Lord . Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near; do not be anxious about anything..." The closeness of the relationship between horse and rider can be measured by the gentleness and fearlessness of the horse. I think that is true of my relationship with Jesus the more I trust Him the more gentle I become.

I have a confession to make this is how I want to be but what happens more often is that when I feel threatened I become a control freak.  I drive myself crazy and everyone around me. When I enter this panic mode there is no peace in my home and it ceases to be a safe place for the people around me very similar to a horse that is panicking. A horse that is panicking can by accident kill those closest to him.

What can I do? Again I go to the passage in Philippians. When my eyes are wide with panic and anxiety about things that threaten me but I have no control over I am instructed to pray. "But in everything by prayer and supplications with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God." Pray shows a correct relationship between the one who is helpless and the one who is protector. The things that cause me to panic when I humbly bring them to the Lord in prayer teach me to trust Him. Gentleness and humility are often found together.

I love to go to horse shows where you see a horse that really trusts it's master it seems there is nothing the horse cannot do. This is how I want my relationship with Jesus to look like,"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding , will guard your heart and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

Lord Jesus, I yield the reigns of control to You in exchange for your peace. Lord Jesus make me gentle.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a fantastic analogy, Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord led me to your blog this morning and really use what you wrote to minister to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete