Thursday, May 12, 2011

Living with the curtains pulled back

I love to study prophecy! When I study prophecy I feel like the curtains of Heaven are pulled back. I see God at the beginning and the end.

 I love the book of Daniel and the picture I find of God there. He is the Ancient of Days seated on the throne. He is the Most High God whose,"kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion endures from generation to generation."Daniel 4:3

When I read the book of Ezra I see people who are discouraged. Their enemies are mocking their efforts to obey God. They are living with the consequences of their sin and the sins of their ancestors. They are discouraged and ready to give up. Then God sends two prophets Haggai and Zechariah. Through these prophets God pulls back the curtains of Heaven and shows them the bigger picture. When they can see their life from the perspective of eternity they find the courage to do the work God has given them to do.

"For the Lord GOD does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets."  Amos 3:7 Isn't that amazing! I see this idea repeated over and over. When God said," Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do?"Genesis 18:17 or when He told Noah about the flood. In so many places in Scripture God reveals what He is about to do and then invites His servants to be part of it.


Then we come to the ministry of Jesus and I hear Him say," No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing ; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you." John 15:15 I see this again in the first verse of Revelation,"The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place."


I confess I am very timid at times. Sometimes I'm just scared, I feel like I have no control over my life. However, when I study prophecy I see the curtains of Heaven pulled back. I see the Ancient of days seated on the throne and miracle of miracles I hear the message that He loves me. As I study His word I find to my amazement  that I have a place in the story He is telling.


Sovereign Lord, as I bow today at your eternal throne show me how to be a good steward of your revealed mysteries.



No comments:

Post a Comment