Saturday, May 14, 2011

Learning to hear the voice of God

I remember my first prayer. I was about four years old and attempting to sweep the sidewalk at my parents home. Suddenly I was aware that I was not thinking about God. I stopped and prayed,"God, I don't ever want to not think about you again." It was a sincere prayer and I can still remember the wonder and confidence I felt that God had heard me and would give me the gift I'd asked for.

I love the story of  Samuel. Before he knew God, before the word of the Lord had been revealed to him he heard God call his name. "Samuel!" It did not begin with Samuel pursuing God but God pursuing Samuel. "Samuel!" Samuel went to the priest for instruction and was told to go back to bed. "Samuel!" Again he goes to the priest, the priest who had failed to train his own son's to hear the voice of God, realized that the LORD was calling the boy.

So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, 'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times,"Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said,"Speak, for your servant is listening." (Samuel 3:9,10)

I love to pray this prayer when I open up my Bible. I love the fact that I am simply responding to the love of God. He said open wide your mouth and I will fill it. (Psalm 81:10)

Eli's sons were not listening to God's voice. Eli honored his sons more than he honored God because he was reaping a benefit from their sin. God was speaking but His people were not listening. "But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their counsels. Oh, that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways!" (Psalms 81:11-13)

There have been times in my life when it has seemed God's voice was dim. When this happens I use the words to a song I learned long ago and I sing it to the Lord in prayer.  "Lord, to my soul bring back the Springtime! Take away the cold and dark of sin. Only hold me now sweet holy Jesus. May I warm and tender be again."

Thank you, Jesus, that in love you pursue me calling me by name. Grant me the grace to respond,"Speak Lord, for your servant is listening." I also ask to always have You in my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment