Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Rock beneath my feet

The accident happened in December and though there is no evidence of anything being wrong there is a hidden threat. Because of the car accident my cousin has a tear in her carotid artery, she lives with the threat of it resulting in a stroke.  She was told not to move her head quickly, to carry her medical records with her,  to know the location of the nearest ER, to take prescribed medication, and to wait until May 12 for the next scan to see if the tear has healed .

 I saw Margret at Easter I was amazed by the look of peace that surrounded her. She explained what she was going through by using this picture. She told me it was as if there was a pond in her backyard, because she was so familiar with it she knew where all the rocks were so that she could get from one side to the other by stepping on them. Now however, since the accident, all the rocks had turned into lily pads. There were no rocks she could stand on that would support her weight . She told me the only security she has is her relationship with Jesus. As I looked at her beautiful face I thought ,"This is what the peace that passes understanding looks like!"

Sunday after the tornadoes had destroyed many places that were familiar to me the preacher preached on Isaiah 20 and the different things we put our trust in. I think many times we don't even know what we are trusting in until the storms come. Am I trusting in something that will leave me full of anxiety or peace when the foundations of my world are shaken?

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again;Rejoice! Let you gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do no be anxious about anything..." Philippians 4:4-6

This was the peace I saw in my cousin as she stood on the solid rock embraced by the love of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment