Saturday, May 28, 2011

I think I missed the point

"Deny yourself." That seem pretty basic. I've been on enough diets to understand what that means. But it's the words that come after this command that make me think that just maybe I missed the point.

"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23 I have a tendency to put myself in the middle of the universe. So I've always thought about denying myself in a positive way, to make me a better me. Taking up my cross daily and following Christ? Well, I thought of that as putting to death the negative things about who I am and being more like Jesus. However, when I examine my thoughts in the context of Jesus' life I see how self centered they are.

When I connect Jesus' invitation to follow Him with what I read in Philippians 2 understanding begins to awaken. "So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus..." This is not about me being a better me, it's about me loving others like Jesus did. It's about me following Jesus, denying myself, putting to death my flesh in love for others.

This is not about my dying on the mission field either there is a daily aspect to it. This is a daily choice to love as my life rubs against the lives of others. My choosing to deny myself for them. Daily putting to death my flesh so that I might consider others more significant than myself. This simply brings me to my knees and exposes how selfish I really am.

Dear Jesus, I come to You humbled again today by the exposure of Your word. I recognize again how different my thinking is from Yours. No matter how hard I try I cannot in my own strength follow You. Please,Lord, today let me participate in Your Spirit and know You in the power of Your resurrection. By Your grace I want to share in Your sufferings following the new command You gave, that if anyone wanted to follow You they were to love others as You did. Today,Lord, today grant me this kind of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment