Monday, May 16, 2011

What mocks the power of God in your life?

When I read a story, I always identify with one of the characters. When I read the story of David and Goliath, I identify with Eliab, David's big brother. David made Eliab angry. Eliab had been on the battlefield for a while. For forty days Goliath had been coming out with his challenge. To fight the war was one thing; to battle Goliath one on one with everyone watching was another. Now here comes David with the question,"Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?" Not content to ask it once, he keeps asking this same question over and over!

I know Goliath personally. He's big. Really big. It's not just me he bothers either. A lot of people are familiar with him. He makes me feel like a failure; his taunts grow louder and louder with each passing day. He stands in the middle of the road and no progress can be made with him standing there. Behind him are all his mocking buddies,"If your God is so great, come on, let's see it. Fight Goliath."

Along comes David, he's been with the sheep, not fighting Philistines. His perspective is untainted. He calls Goliath an uncircumcised Philistine. In other words, David is pointing out that Goliath doesn't have protection from God. Next he asks the question,"Why is he being allowed to defy the living God?" These questions not only demand an answer they demand action.

Dear God, sometimes I feel like I've failed before I've even begun. Today give me the grace to run to the battle. Today, Goliath, you are going down!

No comments:

Post a Comment