Sunday, May 1, 2011

This is where I find comfort

The phone rang about 5 A.M. Wednesday morning it was the warning system for my daughter's school in Alabama. A tornado watch was in effect the students were told to go to the basement. I found out later that the majority of her day was spent in the basement while the tornadoes hovered above the building.

When the things you take for granted like the stability of nature are removed where do you go for comfort? When you wake up thinking this day will be a carbon copy of the day before but you end the day without a home where can you go for comfort? When you see people around you whom you love suffer where can  you go for comfort?

"Have you not known?Have you not
                      heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
  the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
  his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint,
  and to him who has no might he
          increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
  and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the Lord shall
         renew their strength;
  they shall mount up with wings like
        eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
  they shall walk and not faint.
            Isaiah  40: 27-31

Where is my comfort? It is the same place I have put my confidence, not in the stability of nature, it is not in my strength or the strength of those around me.  I put my hope in the everlasting God, not the creation but the Creator. My Lord and my Savior Jesus who has invited me to find refuge in Him.

I find my comfort trusting in God's word and in His promises that even though I faint and grow weary He doesn't. I choose to rest between the shoulders of my God mounting up with wings like eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment